News:

This Forum is for the purpose of communication of cycling related issues. It is open to all with very few restrictions on content, but is moderated to some extent. Forum participants are expected to treat each other with dignity and respect.

Main Menu

SDCBC Recommendation to Encinitas to improve hazardous new cycletrack conditions

Started by karlos, May 06, 2020, 07:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlos

In response to the rash of cyclist injuries, at least 4 requiring ambulance, the San Diego County Bicycle Coalition's Advocacy Committee convened an emergency meeting and this was the consensus opinion of the group. Some were more strongly supportive to ask Encinitas to just remove the hazardous wheel stops that were installed as "protective." We'll see if injuries continue to mount, which also probably will have a financial impact on Encinitas as some lawsuits will no doubt be filed.

Mayor Blakespear,

I'm writing on behalf of the San Diego County Bicycle Coalition to convey our concerns about the new cycle tracks under construction in Cardiff. The Coalition's Advocacy Committee met last week to address the spate of crashes that occurred that week. I'm aware you have already heard from some of these folks, but I wanted to provide you with a response that represents the consensus view of the Bike Coalition.

First, we understand that the crashes we saw last week happened as the project was still under construction. I rode the facility today and saw the addition of paint and vertical elements. This should make the wheel stops more visible, but we are still concerned about them. Close attention to how people operate around them is warranted to determine if they remain a hazard and need to be modified.

Second, we are concerned about the mixing of bike riders and pedestrians in the cycle track. As a cycle track, the facility should be for bike riders only, so we are encouraging strong signage, community education efforts, and if necessary, enforcement to keep conflicts between people walking and biking to a minimum. Ultimately, the pedestrian areas in the corridor should be expanded where possible and be made fully accessible to meet ADA requirements to better accommodate people on foot and in wheelchairs.

Because the cycle track is being installed to attract people who wouldn't be comfortable riding without this protection and is not intended for the faster, more experienced riders and larger groups that are so common in this corridor, we also encourage strong signage directing riders to sort themselves out between the cycle track and the number two lane at each entrance to the facility. We look forward to the sharrows that will be installed, and encourage the city to do speed surveys once the project is complete with the hope that the posted speed limit can be reduced. Thirty-five miles per hour would be a more appropriate limit for a street with sharrows.

Finally, as you have already heard, we believe that in this time of reduced vehicle traffic and the need for physical distancing, this corridor provides an excellent opportunity to implement a COVID-19 Slow Street treatment. The City of Encinitas should install temporary barriers and signs to dedicate the right hand lanes in each direction to bicycle traffic. The existing walkways are just too narrow to accommodate the number of people walking there now with the physical separation required, so for the moment, it is unreasonable to expect pedestrians to stay out of the cycle track. Implementing this temporary reconfiguration now also is an opportunity to demonstrate how the corridor could function as vehicle traffic returns with the permanent reconfiguration that many of us would like to see: a Complete Street where the needs of all users are well served.

The Bike Coalition is prepared to help the city with community outreach on all of these issues through our social media and membership contacts. We also are prepared to meet (virtually) with you or your staff to discuss these matters in more detail. Please contact Andy Hanshaw or me directly with any questions or follow-up. We strongly support your efforts to make Encinitas a better place for people of all ages and abilities to ride bikes, and are eager to help make those efforts a success.

Thank you, and be well,

Stephan Vance
Chair, Advocacy Committee
San Diego County Bicycle Coalition

karlos

There is a dedicated public Facebook group on this issue. If you are on FB, join at Encinitas: Please Restore Safe Cycling in Cardiff.

I sent in a letter for public comment that will be read at tonight's Wed May 6 Encinitas City Council Meeting, with some stronger words regarding the dangerous wheel/curb stops, whatever you want to call them:

Dear Mayor Blakespear, City Council and Staff

As an active member of the San Diego County Bicycle Coalition's Advocacy Committee, I fully support all the recommendations provided by our Chair, Stephan Vance. Assuming you all are now familiar with that, let me add my personal opinion on the dangerous wheel stops.

To quote directly from my oral comments on Sept. 25th, "The curb stops to me are the biggest hazard... Let alone a wheel touch to either side of that curb stop." That is simply high school physics. For those technically inclined, conservation of angular momentum will likely throw a cyclist in the cycletrack who touches a wheel to the asphalt barrier into the traffic lane, which has happened at least once to my knowledge. I am disappointed that my and other's concerns weren't heeded, but more importantly, I was hoping crashes wouldn't happen by people just slowing down and being extremely careful as your Engineer suggested that evening. The record to date is far worse than I imagined and I would argue the cause is a serious design flaw rather than an artifact of a construction zone.

Please know that I am fully behind the use of protected bicycling facilities to get everyone out on bicycles for a true transportational mode shift. This is just not the right design for this location that will support all road users. I sincerely hope there are no financial impacts to Encinitas due to possible injury compensation. I want Encinitas and all communities to succeed in the march towards a transportation mode shift.

But if you can follow the Bike Coalition's advice, it should help reduce future injuries and will improve the usability of this stretch for everyone. The one suggestion re: the wheel stops in Vance's letter was "Close attention to how people operate around them is warranted to determine if they remain a hazard and need to be modified." I presume the past 2 weeks have brought this to your close attention and that you are ready to make modifications sooner rather than later.

Thank you for taking this matter very seriously and reading my comments since I cannot be there in person.

For a review of my comments on Sept. 25th, they start at 2:20:14 of your video.

Karl Rudnick, PhD
BikeWalkSolana member
San Diego County Bicycle Coalition Board Member
League of American Bicyclists League Cycling Instructor #3481
North County Cycle Club Ride Leader (rides currently suspended)