News:

This Forum is for the purpose of communication of cycling related issues. It is open to all with very few restrictions on content, but is moderated to some extent. Forum participants are expected to treat each other with dignity and respect.

Main Menu

Article in SDUT - Are Bicyclist Paying Their Fair Share?

Started by Margareth Demery, June 16, 2015, 03:27:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
An article a couple of weeks ago written by a guy in Encinitas wrote "Bicyclist should pay registration to ride on the road just like motor vehicles do..." Sorry, the article was tossed out before I could salvage it to get the "exact" verbiage.  But this was the jest of it.

Dolores read it as well and this was her reply that was written up in the newspaper:

I am writing in response to :

Are bicyclists paying their fair share?

I am a cyclist I own a car I pay registration fees, I buy gas and pay gas tax.  I am a homeowner and pay taxes, I shop and pay taxes.  I eat out and pay the tax.  I am  a contributing member of this community and the economy.

Bicycles weigh 20 pounds vehicles weigh 3000 plus pounds the damage done to the roads is not caused by bicycles.  I ride my bike about as many miles as I drive my car yearly. That’s 6000 miles of toxic emission I am not contributing too, and I am all the more healthier because of cycling.

I also stop at stop signs while riding my bike as all drivers do.

Dolores Wells

Oceanside

_ End Text

Today's paper - Richard Walker from Valley Center writes " Cyclist have to pitch in for road projects"

Regarding "Cyclist also drive cars, pay fair share" (June 6).  I have no problem with cyclists using existing lanes.  But when almost $1 million is proposed for bike-only lanes, the money must come from somewhere.  Bicycle registration was common 30 years ago.  Why was it discontinued?
~End Text

I found an interesting article from 2007 - check out the attachment for a quick read.

Ride safe,
~Peg