News:

This Forum is for the purpose of communication of cycling related issues. It is open to all with very few restrictions on content, but is moderated to some extent. Forum participants are expected to treat each other with dignity and respect.

Main Menu

Requesting Regular Ride Ringleader Replacement

Started by Jeff Gross, October 03, 2013, 04:11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Gross

Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.
:) On the other hand, sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.

Ride Leader Needed

NCCC needs a new Regular Ride Leader, it could be you!

I need to step aside as ride leader because some time in the next months, I will be taking over Saturday morning swim coaching for Carlsbad Masters. Also, over the next couple of weeks, I will be caring for my wife, Kimberly, who will be having colon cancer surgery.

I have been NCCC ride leader for 10 years. I made it my personal mission to:

• Get the rides off arterials and on to more interesting side streets. Arterials are the fastest and flattest way to get from one place to another, but they are also busy and unfriendly. I wanted less “let’s go as far away as we can, and back because that feels like a good accomplishment,” and more “let’s find interesting places to bike.”
  • Incorporate more hills. Hill climbing is good exercise, and makes one a stronger, better bicyclist. At first, riders complained, but as their strength grew, so did their appreciation for climbing.
  • Educate riders about cycling. I am an League Certified Instructor, and I have used that material, and gone beyond in the tips I give each week. The possible tips are endless and run the gamut from fitness to bicycle mechanics to advocacy to bike handling to road positioning to morality.
  • Get riders to stop running lights and signs. I do not like scofflaw bicycling. It is rude, gives cyclists a bad reputation, and as ride leader, it gives me a bad reputation. I feel I made unsatisfactory progress here.
  • Reduce liability. By promoting education and safe cycling, I hoped to blunt liability claims that would accuse me of leading an unsafe ride.
  • Please everyone. By offering ride options and tuning them to suit the riders: shortcut rides with fewer hills and fewer turns, regular rides with moderation, and bonus rides with challenging routes.
  • Make a commitment to show up every Saturday

How would you like to develop the club? As ride leader, you get a chance to change the ride according to your preferences and ideals. You will get respect if you do it well. Realize you cannot please everyone, so you might as well do what you feel is best. I can help get you started with my list of a year’s worth of rides.

There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle, or the mirror that reflects it.
:) On the other hand, Due to recent cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off till further notice.

”STOPPING!”

When I started riding a tandem with Kimberly, she was always hitting my helmet from her back seat, and I deserved it. I was used to instinctually and quietly biking like a stealth ghost - shifting, braking, and standing slightly for bumps - all in the silence that defines bicycling. You must not be quiet on a tandem. Unlike the tandem captain, who sits gently suspended halfway between front and back wheel, the stoker in the back sits directly above the shocks of the rear wheel. So I received: "Smack - Jeff tell me when there is a bump!" "Whack - Jeff tell me when you are going to shift!" "Hey, tell me when you are going to brake so I don't pedal my legs out against a wall back here!"

It takes a determined effort to call out actions that happen nearly subconsciously, but that is what is needed when riding with others. Here are situations that demand communication when being drafted in a group:

• "On your Left!" - Starting next September, California is going to have a 3 foot passing law for cyclists. Sweet. It should also apply when cyclists are passing slower cyclists! When passing a slower cyclist, besides giving them 3 ft clearance, call out " On your Left!" The slower the cyclist, the more important this is, because slow cyclists are usually novice; they are easily startled; and they are unpredictable when startled. It freaks riders out to get a surprise buzz from another cyclist. It is very common to hear “On your Left!” in other parts of the country and in triathlons, and it is up to us to train the zombies of Southern California in proper etiquette. Avoid using “On your Right!” and instead use “On your Left!” and wait for them to make room by shifting right.
  • "Stopping!" - The NCCC ride had a crash two weeks ago when one rider stopped for a yellow light and the rider behind him ran into him. When being drafted and a traffic signal turns yellow, you need to call out your intentions as: "ROLLING" or "STOPPING." It is scary to stop for a traffic control when you fear those behind you will not.
  • "Right Turn!" - Call out and/or signal all turns, right and left.  It may be a turn you always make with the group, but everyone gets a bit spaced out at times. Prevent others from blind-siding you because they did not expect a turn.
  • "Rock!" - Call and point out dangerous debris or road blemishes to the pack behind you. If someone ahead of you calls out an obstacle, repeat the call for the benefit of those behind you.
  • "Car Right!" - At stop and yeild signs call out reasons to stop and wait to make it clear that a stop is necessary. Do not call out "CLEAR," which is a bad habit used by novices who are trying to be poilite. "Clear" communicates, "No need to check for yourself, just go." "No need to obey the stop sign, just go." "I give permission to everyone who can hear me to just go." "I expect you to just go." "I take responsibility for you."

“I'm a great believer that any tool that enhances communication has profound effects in terms of how people can learn from each other, and how they can achieve the kind of freedoms that they're interested in.” - Bill Gates

Warn others of your intentions!

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr
:) On the other hand, In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

Free Flu Shots at Tri-City Medical.

How bad is the flu? I have survived several bouts over my life, so why bother? The flu vaccine may be unpleasant and have risks, but the flu is dangerous!  I have one friend who became a type 1 diabetic 30 years ago when the flu attacked her pancreas. That changed her life. Another friend's husband needed a heart transplant after the flu attacked his heart. Skipping the flu shot is like bicycling without a mirror ;)

Every year, Tri-City Medical offer free flu vaccine clinics, no appointment needed (More info: (855) 222-8262).:

Wednesday, Oct 9th, 5PM to 7PM, Tri-City Wellness Center, 6250 El Camino Real, Carlsbad, Conference Room
Thursday, Oct 24th, 12PM to 2PM, Tri-City Medical Center, 4002 Vista Way, Oceanside, CA, Assembly Rooms
Wednesday, Nov 13th, 5PM to 7PM, Tri-City Wellness Center, 6250 El Camino Real, Carlsbad, Conference Room

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.  â€" Buddha
:) On the other hand, Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUhwv3fgqYA

Doorked.

What happens when you get doored is your front wheel gets slammed to the right by the door.
Try it yourself: bike 15 mph, and jam your front wheel as far as it can go to the right. You are picking grass out of your left ear.
Unfortunately, when you are on a street, falling to the left means you will fall into the traffic lane.
Above is a video example of this in action. The woman survived, but how close was she to being thrown under the truck?
I have heard people say things like, "Oh, just watch out so you can stop." or "Just swerve into the lane to avoid this."
The best advice comes from Mr Miagi in Karate Kid II: "Best defense? No be there."
Do not bike in the door zone.

People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.
:) On the other hand, Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Travel Tips.

• Travel Tip: Women â€" wear a wedding ring. It will deflect a lot of problems
  • Travel Tip: Checked luggage is lost luggage. Buy a carry-on bag under 18”.
  • Travel Tip: Practice saying “Hello” fluently in the native tongue.
  • Travel Tip: Put your car keys beside your bed at night. If you hear someone trying to get into your room at night, press the panic button for your car to set off the alarm.

Give light, and the darkness will disappear of itself.
:) On the other hand, Flashlight: A case for holding dead batteries.

San Diego Real Estate Economy.
Robert Campbell

Currently, all five Vital Sign indicators are in trends that are friendly to price appreciation.

Despite the recent spike in interest rates, one thing I do know is that property valuations are continuing to go higher in the face of rising rates. But this hasn’t stopped the housing bears from continuing to predict that higher rates will destroy the housing market and the end of the recovery is near- and that you should sell now to protect yourself. 

If rates do keep rising â€" or if some other major economic problem surfaces â€" will we eventually see another downturn or crash in the housing market at some point in time? Of course, but my response to today’s bears is that we depend on market data and trends to tell us what lies ahead â€" and not opinions.

When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat. - Ronald Reagan
-A dose of light humor :)

Bike lots,
Jeff Gross

jeff@fullcommitment.com

Jeff Gross
CA broker #01494883, REALTOR, Notary, GRI, e-PRO, GREEN, BrokerPriceOpinion
NCCC Ride Leader, Bike League Certified Instructor (LCI), USCF Level 3 Cycling Coach, Level 3 Swim Coach
Full Commitment Real Estate
jeff@fullcommitment.com

Jeff,

First off, best wishes to Kimberly as she goes into surgery and let's hope for a full and speedy recovery.

Sorry to hear that you are stepping down as ringleader, you have done such an awesome job over the years and have always gone the extra mile...(and hill)  Not sure who will be willing to take over the responsibilities but you will be a tough act to follow.

I know you will be busy on Saturdays but hope you have a chance to ride with us on occasion.

Jeff,

Most importantly we want you to know that our thoughts and prayers are with you and Kimberly for a successful surgery and complete recovery. We too are sorry to hear that you are retiring as the ride leader. You are leaving some big shoes to fill. A few of us were reminiscing on the ride yesterday about how much fun we have had on your rides. You were always able to challenge the stronger riders and nurture the skills and abilities of the newer riders. Your rides and leadership have helped many to mature and grow in their club and group riding experience. You have done a lot to build the friendly culture of the club.  We appreciate all that you have sacrificed on our behalf.

Dale and Terry

PS  You have had much more influence and success on eliminating scofflaw bicycling than you think.