News:

This Forum is for the purpose of communication of cycling related issues. It is open to all with very few restrictions on content, but is moderated to some extent. Forum participants are expected to treat each other with dignity and respect.

Main Menu

Question: When you're.....

Started by Anthony Scozzari, May 07, 2012, 07:28:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
.....less than a half mile from home after a long ride and have a flat do you fix it there or do the walk of shame home?

My Rule of thumb - If it's going to take me longer to fix the flat than walking home, then I'm walking.

Difficult question.  Many factors to consider.  Do you have fresh fish in your pocket?  Are you wearing road or MTB shoes?  Do you have a pump or only a CO2 cartridge?  How many patches are on the tube that is flat?  Is is really only a half mile?  I think we need to develop an app for this.

LarryD

Frank

What's wrong with you peasants?  Have the mechanic get a wheel out of the support vehicle and change it while you have a couple sips of latte.

Walk first until you remember to use the cell to call home. ET was a genius...

karlos

If it's a front tire, pop a wheelie. If it's a rear tire, throw your weight forward onto the front wheel and try to uni home.

Wow some very creative solutions. Now my first thought is why a smart, experienced rider like Anthony does not know the answer to such a basic, simple, bicycle issue.
Now the reason you ride a bike is so that you do not have to walk, so why, if you are missing a bit of air in a tire would to subject yourself to walking down the street in uncomfortable cleats and looking the fool.  A man of Anthony's age, intelligence, experience, wit, and charm should understand he is represen'in us all and in no way should be seen wearing lycra walking in a respectable neighborhood scaring pets and small children.
Clearly, the solution is to call Navy Seal Team 6 for air lift back to your house. Just think of the admiration and praise this will create with your neighbors.

That or ask Larry D if you can purchase the fish in his pocket and fire it up on one of your neighbors BBQ’s while you are working on the app that Larry suggests that we need, this while Frank’s support team changes your tire and supplies you with latte then when you are done with your fish lunch ask Jeff if you can have some of his M&M’s that he uses to lure nonexistent alien creatures to help change his flats all the while using the neighbors kids bike to practice your wheelies in case you need Karl’s solution when it’s discovered that the sponsorship was pulled from Frank’s support team and they refuse you service and alas, you need to ride home on one wheel with your head held high.

And of coure........if you are alone, always watch your back in case bigfoot is afoot.

Depends - ask yourself: do I care about the tire/wheel? If the answer is no, keep riding. If you're on sew-ups, keep riding. Personally, I'd probably just walk. Socks are cheaper and it's quicker. But then again, I've ridden a few miles with a flat one more than one occasion. Though in those instances it's with more durable tubes than tend to hold the air and wider tires.

I appreciate all the suggestions and please keep them coming!

@ A. Smith - I'm slow so I broke your rule of thumb, but is was a nice day!
@ LD - no fish, road shoes, we don't need no stick'n patches, yes 1/2 mile, and yes an app would have helped!
@ Frank - a "support" vehicle did come by but the "gentlemen" inside offered a puppy to pet and some candy so I refused service
@ Jeff - my wife asked why I didn't phone home.  Been a while since I've watched that classic movie, I need a refresher, obviously!
@ Karl - I can't pop any wheelies when I'm staring at my bike computer to ensure I don't get lost on that last 1/2 mile home!
@ Sean - I obviously have no dignity so making a fool of myself never comes to my (small) mind.  Scare kids and pets, ouch, I thought I looked quite good in my lycra or spandex or whatever it is we wear.  The M&M's were in the "support" vehicle and I turned those down.
@ robertkat - expensive wheel which already give me too much trouble but you're right I should have walked w/o my shoes....maybe wrap the tube around my feet so I don't ruin the socks.....but wait, if I did that I'd already be halfway done changing the flat. Huh?  I'm confused.