News:

This Forum is for the purpose of communication of cycling related issues. It is open to all with very few restrictions on content, but is moderated to some extent. Forum participants are expected to treat each other with dignity and respect.

Main Menu

Your comfort is my piñata

Started by Jeff Gross, March 25, 2013, 05:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Gross

I have been in many places, but I've never been in Cahoots. Apparently, you can't go alone. You have to be in Cahoots with someone.

I've also never been in Cognito. I hear no one recognizes you there.

I have, however, been in Sane. They don't have an airport; you have to be driven there. I have made several trips there, thanks to my friends, family and work.

Drafting Means Selective Service, So Be Selective

Have you ever been drafted by a pro? Not likely. Your inexperience and ineptitude shines like a oily chain, whether it is because you are not wearing a recognizable kit, your legs are unshaven and poorly defined, your hair is grey, or because your components are Ultegra not Dura Ace. No pro is going to risk life and limb behind an unpredictable unknown cyclist.

We often come across other cyclists on the road who are not part of our ride. Have you ever been engulfed by a club ride that you were not part of? It is intimidating and infuriating. It is dangerous - ask Dan Phillips. Clubs have been sued for causing accidents by engulfing, and that included everyone on the ride and in the club!

When you come across another rider, be polite and give them room, and remember 3 things:

• Allow at least 1 bike length room between your bike and theirs, both before and after you pass them.
  • Allow at least 1 arm length room between you and them as you pass them.
  • Call out “On your left” as soon as you are in voice range.

I would like to go to Conclusions, but you have to jump, and I'm not too much on physical activity anymore.

I have also been in Doubt. That is a sad place to go, and I try not to visit there too often.

Garmin Heat Maps

See what's cooking over at connect.Garmin.com - heat maps! Check out the most popular biking and running routes in San Diego or anywhere. Sign up for an account for free - you do not need a Garmin computer to sign up. Then click on the "Plan" tab, subtab "Courses". This will bring up a map, with a "layers" icon that looks like a stack of paper in the upper left. The layers icon will drop down to let you select a heat map for running or for biking. The map shows where Garmin users are spending their time, which as expected, is mostly up and down the Coast Highway.

Wait a minute before you proclaim this sliced bread. "Popular" does not mean best. If you look closely, the most popular roads are also the busiest, fastest roads, which is not the best biking, IMHO:) Still, if you are travelling to a new area, it will give you great insight for planning your hotel-based exercise. Even better would be to find a local expert's extensive website, like mine http://bike.fullcommitment.net/!

I've been in Flexible, but only when it was very important to stand firm.

Sometimes I'm in Capable, and I go there more often as I'm getting older.

Real Estate Investment Tips:

Know your costs going in. Examine the financials, the operating expenses, loan payments, taxes, cash flow.

New research reveals that during the last recession, housing values performed 42 percent better on average if they were located near public
transportation with high-frequency service.

Consult professionals: tax accountant, home inspector, and of course, your Full Commitment Real Estate broker!

One of my favorite places to be is in Suspense! It really gets the adrenalin flowing and pumps up the old heart! At my age I need all the stimuli I can get!

And, sometimes I think I am in Vincible but life shows me I am not!

Bike lots,
Jeff Gross

jeff@fullcommitment.com

Thank you Jeff
After a long dirty nasty day of plumbing repairs this cheered me up wonderfully.

karlos

QuoteHave you ever been drafted by a pro?
Actually, one year at the Tour of Two Forests, Tinker Juarez was drafting our NCCC group which was leading out this ride for the first 30 miles or so. Eventually, we realized this was insane, and he finally passed us, skipping the first rest stop and setting the course record. Of course, sitting behind Tony and John, we may have looked like pros ourselves (for a while).

Also, when passing a slower rider(s) as a group, besides giving them enough room and warning, a friendly "How ya doing?" also keeps them in a good mood instead of being annoyed at us. Ref: Anthony Scozzari's Do you remember when ... post.