News:

This Forum is for the purpose of communication of cycling related issues. It is open to all with very few restrictions on content, but is moderated to some extent. Forum participants are expected to treat each other with dignity and respect.

Main Menu

For your amusement. A post by a ride leader from a Florida club

Started by Paul Nevins, November 12, 2013, 09:10:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Sunday Slower Ride
Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:30 am (PST) . Posted by: For nearly the last two 1/2 years I have been leading rides for new riders with a group from Tampa, people who haven’t been on the bike for a while, and people who just enjoy a slow, more social ride. This is an invitation to join us for a combined ride of the two groups.

I ride in the back of the group and I make no attempt to moderate the speed. If riders want to go faster, I let them go. If they get lost I cannot assist them. Fortunately, several of the cyclists have been riding with me long enough this is not an issue. The rides are from 27 to 36 miles in length, and the average speed is 14 to 16 mph.

Below is what I post on the other site. Here is this coming Sunday’s ride.

New - Improved - Apollo Beach Ruskin ride - 14 to 17 mph average pace

Sunday, November 17, 2013 8:30 am

Publix

6434 N US Highway 41, Apollo Beach, FL

· This is a new and improved route for the Apollo Beach/Ruskin ride. It is about 36 miles long, although a couple of miles can easily be shaved off.

Aha - I hear the questions:

How is this improved:
Easy -
1 - There are far fewer turns
2 - More beach views
3 - More miles
4 - Millionaire mansions (there a unsubstantiated rumors they hand out money as cyclists ride by, but I have yet to witness this myth)
5 - Primarily rural roads with light traffic
6 - Flat free roads (trust me)
7 - Insect free routes (really!!!)
8 - There is always a tailwind - all the time in every direction
9 - Even the uphill portions feel like downhill’s
10 - No matter where you are on the ride, if you get tired, there are only a couple of miles to go - it must be magic
11 - New friendlier cycling buddies (the old ones were all sacked)
12 - Grupettito comes to life and pulls for the entire ride at your personal perfect pace
13 - Did I mention more miles ...

and much, much more.

Yes my friends - you must ride it to truly appreciate the ride. The list of improvements are staggering to the imagination. The best part is admission is free - just bring your road bike and let's go.
Prepare yourself to have more fun on a bicycle seat then you ever imagined possible.

For those who this all seems too good to be true, IT IS. But for the rest of us, let's ride like it is 1999.
For everyone else I recommended that you find a less exciting ride to participate in. This much cycling fun is not for the faint of heart, sorry.

This is a 14 to 17 mph average speed ride with the typical no drop clause (no one gets left in the middle of nowhere - period).
small print - This clause is applicable as long as you do not upset the Event Host - ME.

The ride will start at the Publix in Apollo Beach at 8:30 am. This is a very scenic ride with light to no traffic.

A sports drink and plenty of fluids are a must due to the heat.

There is a store we can stop at, ice cream is optional.

These are rural stores, I recommend bringing cash.

Best of all, the ride is longer - there really are more miles.

Grupettito

Here is a map link:
http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/1698575

Ride on,
Mike