News:

This Forum is for the purpose of communication of cycling related issues. It is open to all with very few restrictions on content, but is moderated to some extent. Forum participants are expected to treat each other with dignity and respect.

Main Menu

3ft passing bill - almost there for third year - write Gov Brown!

Started by Karl Rudnick, August 30, 2013, 03:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
This note from CABO's lobbyist:
QuoteAB 1371 Bradford passed the Assembly floor this mourning! A letter of Support to Governor Brown is our next step. I will take the letter when I meet to with Governor Browns Legislative staff to discuss Our/CABOS' Support.
If you could  have our letter ready by next Tuesday that would be beneficial and productive. Also individual letters of Support from our Board, Clubs and members would be VERY helpful and productive showing GRASS ROOTS SUPPORT.

Thank you
James Lombardo

The votes could change as members add on!!!!

You may recall this bill has made it to Gov. Brown's desk twice before, where he vetoed it. Brown's reason to veto the first bill was based on a lame and dubious misreading of that language, and the excuse for vetoing the second bill, he said he thought the provision to allow motorists to cross double yellow to pass bicyclists could increase state liability, also could have applied to the first bill, but he neglected to mention that objection when he vetoed that first bill.  A good faith veto letter should list all the reasons that would cause him to veto, so that the legislature can address all of them in a future bill.   A possible flaw in this third version is that there is no provision to make crossing the double yellow legal.  One step at a time, I guess.  In the recent Camp Pendleton bike fatality, the bus driver could conceivably say he didn't want to cross the double yellow line because it would be illegal and that the cyclists were so far to the right that it was safe to pass (baloney, but possible).

Jim Baross suggests that letters be directed to Gov. Brown directly (click here to do that), with a copy to Assembly Member Bradford (click here to paste your letter), the bill's initiator, and your own Assembly Member (locate here).

Below is a suggested support letter from Jim Baross, SDCBC spokesperson, should you choose to write - change out the CABO references, etc. In my letter, I also note the reference to the 2013 DMV pamphlet: http://apps.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/traffic_lanes.htm#travel where motorists are "suggested" to give bicyclists at least 3 feet when passing. This bill puts teeth to the already published "suggestion" by making it a "requirement."

QuoteGovernor Jerry Brown

c/o State Capitol, Suite 1173

Sacramento, CA 95814

SUBJECT: Support for AB 1371

Dear Governor Brown:

On behalf of the California Association of Bicycling Organizations (CABObike.org) I am communicating our support for the current legislative effort to improve safety on our public roads. We support the "Three Feet for Safety Act" bill, introduced by Assembly Member Bradford in February.

We support this bill because of our expectation that its passage could help to reduce incidences of antagonistic or clueless "buzz-backs"/scary close passing of people bicycling by people using vehicles. Passage of the bill can communicate that the State respects the right for people to choose sustainable transportation modes, including bicycling lawfully in traffic lanes. The new, clearer law will make education of bicyclists and motorists easier, encouraging more and safer bicycling.

I recommend to anyone opposing the intent of this bill - a bill that reinforces existing safe passing law in CVC 21750 - to do some, more, or any lawful bicycling in regular traffic. Sadly it doesn't take many bicycling miles to experience why people bicycling are concerned about being passed too close, too fast, too often. 

Thank you for your service to California voters.

Sincerely,

Jim Baross

Just received updates from Sacramento - Joshua Stark, State Policy Director - Wrote

Dear Peg,

The Governor just signed AB 1371 to require drivers to give people on bikes three feet of clearance when passing.

And he did it because of you.

Nearly 5,000 people emailed Governor Brown in support of the bill.  That’s more than double the number who emailed him last year, and it made all the difference.

After three years, we’ve finally got three feet for safety.  TransForm was proud to support the California Bicycle Coalition in advancing this important bill, but we couldn’t have done it without you.  Thank you for taking action to make our streets safer for bicyclists.  END TEXT.  It is a start.

Now need to educate the Law Enforcment guys.  They are still hassling riders when Iweride on the Sharrows in Encinitas & Leucadia.  Also the area where you are going south getting out of the Swami rest stop.  Plenty of car doors there, but the police yelled at us to move far over to the right - no thanks not riding into a door.... - Peg