News:

This Forum is for the purpose of communication of cycling related issues. It is open to all with very few restrictions on content, but is moderated to some extent. Forum participants are expected to treat each other with dignity and respect.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Bicycle Education & Advocacy / Proposed Roundabouts in RSF be...
Last post by kcpurcell - April 30, 2024, 09:20:43 AM
This is excellent - the county is proposing adding three roundabouts in Ranch Santa Fe, along Paseo Delicias (Del Dios Hwy to the east) at El Camino del Norte, El Montevideo and Via de la Valle.

If you feel as positive about this improvement as I do then I encourage you to add a positive comment to the county's project web page:
https://www.sandiegocounty.gov/content/sdc/dpw/roads/rancho_santa_fe.html

-- Ken CP
Club Rides & Events / Re: Good routes/tips for someo...
Last post by kcpurcell - April 22, 2024, 03:59:03 PM
Hey Terri,

When I moved to North County seven years ago I was taken aback by the traffic. The arterial roads and freeways make for large busy intersections, some of which are hard to avoid when cycling.

I found the San Diego Bike Coalition's Smart Cycling class to be very helpful. It gave me much more confidence to safely navigate these traffic hot spots. Here is a list of upcoming classes:
https://sdbikecoalition.org/smart-cycling/

And if you can you should join us Clippers, maybe on a Wednesday. For one thing it's a great way to learn routes.

Ken Chin-Purcell
Club Rides & Events / Re: Good routes/tips for someo...
Last post by Steve Fox - April 20, 2024, 09:11:58 PM
Hi Terri,

Welcome back from "life." Well, since you were gone, life has gone on and so has cycling. You didn't mention where you live, but I'll assume it's around San Marcos.  IMO, there are three less trafficky and pretty areas around SD:  north county of SD, east county of SD, and southern Riverside County. Less traffic = fewer/no bike lanes, however.  Bike lanes don't offer complete peace of mind, but psychologically speaking can offer a small amount of solace/safety from motor vehicles. There are MANY routes within those three areas. I would suggest checking out ridewithgps.com. This website/app offers a good search function to find rides.  If you want to work on speed and want a non-motor vehicle experience, I would suggest signing up for a velodrome class from the SD Velodrome peeps (https://www.sdvelodrome.com/introductory-classes).  IMO, it's the safest way to cycle and you can work on speed as well. However, it offers no hills. I would suggest looking at NCCC's ride page (https://northcountycycleclub.org/rides/) and possibly ride with the Clippers. Hope to see you on a NCCC ride soon.
Club Rides & Events / Good routes/tips for someone n...
Last post by Tbia4 - April 20, 2024, 07:32:11 PM
Hi!

I'm new to the group and the area so I don't know roads here very well yet. I'm gradually figuring out some of the skitchy roads and intersections by trial and error - and of course quickly figured out that rushhour is a good time to avoid.

Are there any club routes/areas that might be safer/less traffic/better bike lanes/etc? I'm a few months back into regular riding after a couple years of not much riding (due to 'life' ... you know) and currently too slow to feel good about joining a group ride yet. I'm comfortable riding on the road by myself if I know the roads/areas but I'm still a little nervous here and just hoping for some insider info/tips/suggestions?

I need like 30-50 mi routes, climbing is ok but I need miles and places I can work on speed more than I need huge amts of climbing right now.

Hope to be able to try some group rides soon and meet some folks too! Thanks for any help!!
Terri 
Club Rides & Events / Super light and compact tubes
Last post by karlos - April 20, 2024, 06:38:59 PM
Joe Strafaci turned me onto these tubes after I finally had a need after 15,000+ tubeless miles and failure of my spare tube sitting rotting in my bag for a couple years. I'm only using as backup for the next time I need a tube, but Joe informs that he not only loves the lightness and compactness, but he also likes the simple patches provided to repair the couple flats he has had. Rob Brown asked for a link today, so here it is. They're a bit pricy but not over the top. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C88QQPB8?th=1 (watch the video there)
Look how they fit in my Ortlieb micro bag
- Karl
Non NCCC Cycling Info / Trek Travel Tours - Italy
Last post by steveftse - April 13, 2024, 09:34:05 PM
I wonder if anyone is interest in doing Dolomites Bike Tour in Italy. I have one friend interested in going in June.  Tour is about a week. $2000 per person. It is guided. Bikes provided. Not including airfare.  You can ride more then the route provided. Some lunch and dinner provided. https://trektravel.com/bike-tour/dolomites/
Club Rides & Events / CANCELLED: Sunrise Highway / P...
Last post by gmparker - April 10, 2024, 01:12:57 AM
The forecast for Sunday isn't good, cold (in both Pine Valley and Laguna) with possible showers and freezing rain (on top of Laguna) so I cancelled the ride... While it could change, I'd rather not chance it and give people an opportunity to make different plans.

I thought about pushing it a week but I'm ride leader on 4/20 and would rather not be ride leader two days in a row...

Sorry...

GP
Club Rides & Events / Mini Bike Pack Trip
Last post by mikeyvetter1 - April 08, 2024, 03:14:38 AM
Hello NCCC Club Members!

I am going to be doing a Mini Bike-Pack Trip to Cuyamaca Rancho SP on 4/27. I am planning to ride from Carlsbad to the San Diego REI to pick up some rental equipment, then ride the rest of the way to a reserved campsite in the park. The return ride would follow the same route the following morning (4/28).

7 members are welcome to join and make use of the campsite I have reserved. If you are interested please email me at mikeyvetter1@gmail.com by 4/21 so a group can be finalized. We can then finalize a meeting place/time/route.

The out-and-back route is going to be about 90 miles each way. Please note, this is a not a club sanctioned event and therefore not covered by club insurance.
Club Rides & Events / Re: Sunset Park Vs Civic Cente...
Last post by Jeff Gross - March 29, 2024, 08:35:08 PM
Used Sunset Park's upper lot as a ride start. It is a well maintained, upscale park, with clean bathrooms. Parking seemed ample, with about 100 spaces. The road up to the park is a steep block from Poinsettia Ave to the west, a challenging finish to a hard ride.
I like it because coming from Carlsbad, it is 3.6 miles closer to home, and because I don't like to impose on a private business' "customers only" bathroom.
Club Rides & Events / Re: OneClub Picnic canceled
Last post by Sean Brennan - March 29, 2024, 02:36:41 PM
The Long Roadie ride has been cancelled. The rain is coming, 90% chance starting at 6AM and the percentage chance goes to 100% at 9:00AM.

We will see you at the next OneClub Ride.