News:

This Forum is for the purpose of communication of cycling related issues. It is open to all with very few restrictions on content, but is moderated to some extent. Forum participants are expected to treat each other with dignity and respect.

Main Menu

New Photos look

Started by karlos, March 31, 2012, 06:27:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlos

You'll notice Photo Gallery (click Photos) has a new look. It is the same album, but with a different "skin." Besides the time for a new look, the technical reason for the update is to stream videos better. The video streaming will work best in Firefox, Chrome, Safari (Mac users, especially).  Internet Explorer users may exhibit funny behavior (I cannot test all versions). If you use Internet Explorer, it may ask you for an add-on or a plug-in. If you've never tried another browser, you can download firefox here. Page display will be much snappier than Internet Explorer and those videos will look and stream better.

karlos

If you use Internet Explorer and you only see one or two rows of folders or photos in the Photo Gallery [with a scrollbar on the right so you can still get to everything - it is usable, just annoying], you probably have an issue with your Compability View settings. To fix: in Internet Explorer, select from the menu Tools > Compatibility View settings. Make sure the box which says "Display all websites in Compatibility View" is UNchecked. Leave the other boxes as is. I only use Google Chrome and Firefox on my computers, but I usually test the NCCC website in Internet Explorer, just to make sure everything looks OK (EDIT: Internet Explorer is the ONLY browser that has EVER created ANY issue on the NCCC website).

[EDIT: a little more detail] Another way to set the browser rendering mode is just to press F12 while you're in Internet Explorer. At the bottom of the browser, you will see some extra info, as in the attached screenshot below. Highlighted is "Browser Mode: IE9". This will actually make Internet Explorer run in its most efficient way. If, for some reason, it should say "IE9 Compat View", just click on it and change it to just "Internet Explorer 9". The reason for this Compatibility View mode was that IE7 was buggy and Microsoft and websites, too, did non-standard things to work around it. Since IE7 is ancient history, you should have no problem setting your Browser Mode to IE9 (or IE8 if that is your version). You should leave "Document Mode: IE7 Standards" - else some of the NCCC web pages may display funny. If you still have IE7 or earlier installed, just do the Microsoft upgrade if you don't want to switch browsers as I suggested above [I try not to impose religious choices on anyone  ;)] - Microsoft may get it right someday.