News:

This Forum is for the purpose of communication of cycling related issues. It is open to all with very few restrictions on content, but is moderated to some extent. Forum participants are expected to treat each other with dignity and respect.

Main Menu

Unhappy New Rider

Started by Lisa Ruby, July 28, 2012, 10:20:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa Ruby

Hi,

I wasn't out for the club ride today, so I don't know how this happened, but I received this e-mail late today via the Roadies e-mail address from a rider by the name of Fred who joined the ride to the Harbor. Looks like the group today made a pretty poor impression. Don't know if nobody recognized he was with the group.   Lisa

> I was really disappointed with the ride today. I got a flat on El Camino and not one person stopped to help. By the time I got it fixed
> the group was long gone. It may have been justified if I had been in back but I was in the front.
> I thought this was a good friendly group but I was obviously mistaken. I will most likely not renew my membership or ride
> with you again.

> Fred Snyder

karlos

That is terribly unusual. We ALWAYS stop for flats on all our rides, no matter whether the person is in the front or the back (the very last person needs to yell   ;)). Even if it's somebody we don't know, we will inquire if they need assistance. I don't know Fred Snyder or what group he was riding with, but perhaps he didn't introduce himself if he was brand new. The new riders are the ones that get EXTRA special treatment. Whatever the situation was, remember how you would feel if this happened to you and certainly take the time to help out a fellow NCCC member.  Else, you might as well ride by yourself. It's just 10 minutes and flats are just part of bike riding- most often a great time for a little extra rest, jokes and ribbing, too.
Karl

Lou

If Fred was wearing a blue and white kit, I saw him repairing a flat and asked if he was OK and needed anything. Not sure if it was El Camino. But it was early in the ride. He said no and that everything was ok. So I rode on.
I wasn't sure if he was part of our group as I didn't make it to the start briefing and he wasn't wearing a NCCC kit. As most of you know, I always ask anyone if they need assistance if I go by.
Maybe Fred wanted me to stop but really didn't want to say so. Maybe Fred was just having a bad day.

Lou...

This is very surprising and has to be a misunderstanding.  I’m sorry that Fred had a bad experience with NCCC. 

Two of the first three rides I came out on I had flats (cheap tires).  Having not been serious about riding for quite some time I was slow to make the tube change and obviously incompetent.  Everyone was so incredibly nice, Tony, Diane, Karl, Anthony, and John were especially understanding and didn’t make me feel like the idiot I obviously was (and mostly still am).  It is one of the main reasons I stuck as a member.

This is most definitely a misunderstanding (I speak from experience too). However, I think it's  important for someone (perhaphs the rider leader) to reach out to Fred and explain this. His feelings about our club may change if we take the time to discuss this matter with him. Showing that we do care, he might decide to ride with us again.