News:

This Forum is for the purpose of communication of cycling related issues. It is open to all with very few restrictions on content, but is moderated to some extent. Forum participants are expected to treat each other with dignity and respect.

Main Menu

2013 Amgen Tour of California to Start in Escondido!

Started by Lisa Ruby, November 28, 2012, 06:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa Ruby

For anyone who hasn't run across the news yet, the 2013 Amgen Tour of California's first stage will start and end in Escondido on May 12.   Lisa

Can't wait for a route announcement. Both stage 1 (Escondido-Escondido) and stage 2 (Murrieta - Palm Springs) should be fun long rides!

karlos

NCCC member Alfredo Velasco (Sunday rider) was on the Escondido committee and there may be an opportunity for NCCC to participate in the event. Stay tuned...

Judging from the map on the site, stage one will most likely be a time trial. If for some reason I'm not riding our local 1000k, I'll be there to watch or help out for sure.

I spoke with a committee member this weekend who asked if NC3 would interested in riding the route the day before the pros; this "free to the public" event will eventually be broadcast in the local media. He believed the race route will start and end in downtown Escondido and may loop Palomar Mtn in reverse; up the south grade and down the east. The public ride will be an organized mass start in downtown and coordinated with one of the pre-race festivals.   

This would be great, as it would leave your Sunday free to volunteer with the race! The City of Escondido has set up a web site at http://www.escondido.org/amgen-volunteer.aspx if you're interested!

Thanks for sharing that!

They've posted the race route. It's the pie ride backwards. I imagine they'll have South Grade closed to spectators.