News:

This Forum is for the purpose of communication of cycling related issues. It is open to all with very few restrictions on content, but is moderated to some extent. Forum participants are expected to treat each other with dignity and respect.

Main Menu

Perspective

Started by wbturek@yahoo.com, June 21, 2012, 08:34:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Is sometimes hard to maintain in the heat of the moment. We all ride for fun, for enjoyment, and riding hard is certainly enjoyable. Until something happens - the unseen obstacle, the inattentive driver, the dog, the momentary lapse. We ride on public roads not primarily designed for bicycles, and I know I sometimes need a reminder that catching the wheel of the rider in front of me isn't the most important thing in the world.

So, as a prophylactic, I offer:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/06/bikes-and-tech/the-torqued-wrench-perspective-and-80-percent_224965

Seems like anyone riding on open roads should hold a reserve of attention and awareness, not just product testers.

And this gem, which stuns not just for illustrating the lengths we cyclists will go to in pushing our limits, but also  the extent we as a society are unwilling to take personal responsibility for the consequences for our own actions.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/06/news/family-sues-strava-over-descending-death_224889 and http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/crime/2012/06/witness-blames-pace-biker-charged-felony-manslaughter#ixzz1xz5zpalW

Perhaps we should all internalize the 80% norm when riding together? Maybe then I could keep up!

A penny for your thoughts . . .

Lisa Ruby

Thank you for posting this. This is very good food for thought.  I'd like to add that anytime we take unnecessary risks out there and/or disregard traffic laws we fuel the dislike that motorists, many San Diego County law enforcement agencies and individuals, and our judicial system have for cyclists. It seems again and again whenever there is an accident or incident involving bicyclists the bicyclist is presumed guilty by both law enforcement and our judicial system, and regardless of proof and/or law presented are rarely found to be not at fault. Until most cyclists behave in a more predictable and law abiding manner this will continue to be the case. Should we ever reach the point where we are behaving better out there, it will probably take years to undo the damage our behavior has done to our reputation. Thank you to the members of our club who are working to teach safe and law-abiding riding skills, and to you William for posting this.

Jeff Gross

It is a timing issue: when you choose to push yourself 100%. And you should push yourself there. Often. When you are climbing San Elijo, there is nothing stopping you from blowing yourself up - you are only going 10 mph! When you are descending San Elijo, it is time to dial it back to 20%.

Pick your battles: climbing yes / descending no ... catching a paceline yes / hanging on to a wild paceline no ... on the open road yes / in traffic no.
Jeff Gross
CA broker #01494883, REALTOR, Notary, GRI, e-PRO, GREEN, BrokerPriceOpinion
NCCC Ride Leader, Bike League Certified Instructor (LCI), USCF Level 3 Cycling Coach, Level 3 Swim Coach
Full Commitment Real Estate
jeff@fullcommitment.com

Lol, who was the guy bombing down La Jolla Shores today?  :-)

gene14stein

Great particulars, exceptional info! I have been previously actually fortunate on your part plus you've got actually carried out a fantastic job. and one more thing I am looking for community forums who have excellent information on what exactly is in vogue and also what the best makeup is actually.