News:

This Forum is for the purpose of communication of cycling related issues. It is open to all with very few restrictions on content, but is moderated to some extent. Forum participants are expected to treat each other with dignity and respect.

Main Menu

What would Karl do?

Started by wbturek@yahoo.com, August 07, 2012, 05:21:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
After seeing unnamed NCCC riders ignoring red lights on the Sunday ride to La Jolla, I came home to this article on the ethics of cycling. Kant we all just get along? http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/05/opinion/sunday/if-kant-were-a-new-york-cyclist.html?smid=tw-share

karlos

I still think it's best to abide by the laws. We lose credibility and face when we run red lights (should never do), roll through stops, glide throught T-intersections with stop signs/lights (although, I wish there were a bicycles yield when that situation has a bike lane). There are plenty of chances to ride balls out on our rides (sorry, girls, but Ursula and Evelyn can whip us all using another metaphor). Wait at the stop signs and then beat your mates up to the top of the next hill or across the Camp Pendleton flats if that's what you need to get your kicks. As a ride leader, I try to come up with rides that try to minimize the (legal) stops and maximize the hard-working fun - and still often fall short (had to wade through La Jolla last Sunday - where you should just smell the roses while you're at it). Some day, we'll do a ride with no left turns, no stop signs, no stop lights - stay tuned. Meanwhile, ignore the guy who wrote the article and ride your bike like a vehicle, especially when you're in an urban environment like NYC.
Karl