News:

This Forum is for the purpose of communication of cycling related issues. It is open to all with very few restrictions on content, but is moderated to some extent. Forum participants are expected to treat each other with dignity and respect.

Main Menu

Urban Bicycling - Principles of Safe Cycling - FREE Class May 3

Started by karlos, April 15, 2013, 03:02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlos

Urban Bicycling: Class Session
Date: May 3, 2013 (Friday)
Time: 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Location: Oceanside Community Room - 300 North Coast Highway Oceanside Ca 92054

Do you know and understand the law as it applies to cyclists? Do you feel uncomfortable riding with automobiles? Do you know what the greatest hazards are to cycling on the roads? No, it is not being hit from behind. Do you ride close to cars in the door zone? Do you stop at an intersection in the bike lane? Do you move through the intersection to the right edge of the road?. Are you a cycling advocate? If your answer is yes to any of these questions.. or other questions we haven't yet asked, you can benefit from this FREE course by a LAB certified instructor and record holder and winner of Race Across America, Pete Penseyres in Oceanside.

The Class is for three hours the evening of Friday, May 3, with an on road follow-up on May 11. You must register for each for full completion. Register here:

Click here for the direct link to the May 3 classroom session.

Click here for the direct link to the May 11 road session.

Note that the on-road session can be completed at a time later than May 11, if you can only make May 3. For the bigger picture of the SDCBC (San Diego County Bicycle Coalition) course calendar offerings visit http://www.sdcbc.org/Bicycle-Course-Calendar.html.

Here is a letter to Pete from a long time experienced cyclist:

"Just wanted to drop you a line and say thanks so much for your instruction and thanks also to the other instructors.  I went out for a long 200K Sunday and put almost all the skills I learned Saturday to use.  I even had to do an emergency quick stop on Pacific Street near Buccaneer beach.  Disaster averted.  I even rode out into the lane away from the door zone on Coast hwy especially in Leucadia and, surprisingly, everyone just passed me on the other lane.  I also noticed several riders following me and noticed that they started doing the same thing after at first doing the in and out thing. I stopped at all stop signs, believe it or not, and surprisingly, it did not affect my overall finish time. The class definitely made my ride a much more enjoyable experience.  I thought I knew it all but it just goes to show you the learning never stops."

karlos

There is room for more students this Friday. Six have enrolled, but the more the merrier. Make NCCC the first SD club to have everyone get through this class with Pete!
~Karl