News:

This Forum is for the purpose of communication of cycling related issues. It is open to all with very few restrictions on content, but is moderated to some extent. Forum participants are expected to treat each other with dignity and respect.

Main Menu

Cycling safety video from cyclingsavvy.org

Started by Johan Cronje, July 28, 2018, 02:44:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
While this video's intended audience is law enforcement, it's still interesting. It shows how your position on the road can dramatically increase or decrease most common crash types.

https://cyclingsavvy.org/cycling-law/

karlos

Thanks, Johan
Coincidentally, I just added this to the NCCC Photo Gallery last night and was about to post the following. Thanks for beating me to the punch !!!

All - The ABEA (American Bicycle Education Assoc) folks (Cycling Savvy, etc.) recently put together a short 11-minute video that explains nearly all the relevant points about using a bicyclist's position in the roadway to be both safe and legal. Although the target here was for the Institute of Police Technology and Management in Tampa, FL, for law enforcement, this is a video that every motorist should see. For those who've taken our Smart Cycling or the Cycling Savvy classes, this is old hat, but the majority of cyclists are edge riders and everyone of them should also spend just 11 minutes of their time.

Just click here to watch the version that I uploaded to the North County Cycle Club photo gallery.

And if any NCCC riders find this something new, then please sign up for a Smart Cycling class soon. These 11 minutes are the core of what is taught. What is left out is that there is no law against riding two or more abreast in the travel lane. The tenets of the video apply equally to groups. In fact a compact group is not only the safest (and legal) configuration, it is also the most courteous to motorists as it is easier for motorists to change lanes to get around the compact group.

We also emphasize in the class the law that says, in a single lane (like many of the County roads we ride), that if 5 or more vehicles are patiently waiting, you need to find a safe place to either pull over or to single up to wave them on by. And, as shown in the video, a thank you wave and a smile really helps to alleviate road rage. And, btw, I never count and wait until there's exactly 5. If just one motorist is being patient and can't get by, be courteous and give 'em a break.

Enjoy - Karl