News:

This Forum is for the purpose of communication of cycling related issues. It is open to all with very few restrictions on content, but is moderated to some extent. Forum participants are expected to treat each other with dignity and respect.

Main Menu

Steven Jones Accident on Rancho Bernardo Rd. November 21, 2017

Started by Gregory Pschaida, October 21, 2017, 05:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hi,  For those of you who were there, and who were not there.  Our fellow regular ROADIE rider,  Steven Jones, hit a road imperfection on Rancho Bernardo road Saturday, while on the club ride, and crashed on his new Cannondale.  Amazing crash that involved his front carbon wheel breaking, and the tire coming off the rim and getting stuck in the brake caliper.  Steven was going at about 25MPH or more, and was catapulted forward and over the bars.  Steven, was lucky, to just have a lot of road rash, and few broken ribs.  So, he got pretty beat up, but thankfully no serious long term injuries.  I called him in the intensive care at Palomar a couple of hours after the ride completed, for the update on his condition to get this news from the horses mouth.  After the ride, I went back to the location of the road imperfection, and marked the heck out of it, and painted warnings before it, directing cyclists to stay to the center of the bike lane.  Hopefully that will help avert any repeat accidents involving other cyclists.

karlos

I hope that photos were taken and that this was reported. Jurisdictions take this seriously. They usually repair the hazardous condition within a day or two, for obvious liability reasons.  When in doubt who to call, please visit the San Diego County Bike Coalition website at https://sdbikecoalition.org/get-involved/report-a-road-hazard/ for the appropriate contact info. Since I don't know exactly where this occurred on Rancho Bernardo Rd, I just called the City of San Diego Public Works at 619-527-7500 (get that from the SDCBC website) and they said that if it hasn't been reported, please call with exact location. It may or may not be in the City of San Diego, but the dispatcher will gladly look it up and provide the correct contact if it is not SD City.

Recently, Mike Samyn, former Wheelmen (they disbanded) member recently had an accident and the road was repaired within a day and he is negotiating expenses for bike repair and medical.

Recover quickly, Stephen!
Karl

The bump is between Camino San Bernardo & Alva Rd in 4S Ranch in the westbound lane I believe. Someone has marked it pretty well with spray paint, but it is definitely a nasty bump.

Just wanted to post an update, it's been a week and I am on the mend.
I feel very lucky in two ways: first we have a tremendously generous, caring and kind group of people in our club; I don't think there are enough words I possess to express my heartfelt appreciation for all the deeds of kindness done for me this past week by our fellow riders. Secondly, to come out of this mishap with a concussion and three fractured ribs is nothing short of miraculous.
So, thank you, thank you, thank you, and I hope to rejoin you in the near future. Stephen