News:

This Forum is for the purpose of communication of cycling related issues. It is open to all with very few restrictions on content, but is moderated to some extent. Forum participants are expected to treat each other with dignity and respect.

Main Menu

Remembering Bob

Started by dnakai, June 08, 2007, 11:27:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dnakai

Read the article about the passing of Bob Cheney and though I don't have a long history knowing Bob, if I may write a bit.

Donna and I joined NCCC in '94 so I can learn how to ride a bike.  She called ahead and that Sat. we showed up at OCRR.  Back then, the Crusiers were called the Slow-Pokes.  I made my first mistake by asking the Roadie Dokes if they were the Slow-Pokes as both group met in the same area.  Bob introduced himself as he was who Donna spoke with and told Donna 'I didn't know you were bringing him'.  We did Elfin Forest.  It was a good thing we rode with the group as Skip saw that I had not tighten the skewer on Donna's front wheel and caught it before had an accident.

We had an enjoyable ride and came back every weekend, often doing the Sunday rides also.  Bob was at all the rides, in charge of routes and he was alway atop the mileage leader board.  Rides covered a lot of San Diego county including Silver Strand, Cabrillo Lighthouse, Olympic training center and even Julian and Palomar.  We also did rides in Rancho California, now Temecula.  I enjoyed listening to Bob's stories.

For the first LA Marathon Bike ride, Bob had sign up.  Donna and I were going to the Solvang Century and coming back, we were doing the Marathon ride.  Since we were picking up our numbers, we got Bob's for him.  Little did we know how backed up the traffic would be as we arrive after the ride started.  It was raining, and being late, there was no crowd to wait behind.  We found Bob halfway through the course and told him we have his bib number which he obviously did not need as he was riding.  Drenched, after the ride we ate at a hamburger stand. Bob told the story of his Solvang Century.  He had signed for the first year they had the half, you rode to Santa Maria and took a bus back.  Well a lot of Century riders decided to cut their ride short and take the bus back, so the bus was full.  Bob could not wait, was to take a short cut back ending up making the ride even longer.

I have a picture frame with assorted photos from NCCC rides which was given to me by the 'Slow-Pokes'.  In one of the slots is a picture of Bob and Ellen which looks like the bike path to San Clemente. I had many conversations with Bob on this popular route. I have a picture from Midnight Madness where Donna dressed me in a negligee and painted my nails, put on makeup and jewelery and wore a wig, a most homely looking woman.  And here is Bob with his hand on one of my balloons with a naughty smile on his face. Since I did not like to drive to starts (only if Donna went), Bob has given me rides home in the rain. We had a Christmas tradition.  As he was very knowledgable about wines and I do not drink alcohol, I would amuse him by giving him a bottle of wine.  he in return would give Donna coffee from Mexico (I don't drink coffee). I remember at the club's Christmas party, there is the gift exchange game.  I had a joke gift, a big box full of used tire tubes (I did have good tubes and repair stuff in it also).  I told Bob what was in this big box all nicely decorated.  And when it was Bob's turn to pick a gift, he goes for mine.  I ask Bob why did you choose it when you knew what was inside.  He tells me if it came from you, there has to be something good inside.

Donna gave up riding and I spend most of my time up North.  I did show up a couple of times at restaurant row to see the Cruisers, but one day I only rode with Ellen, the other times, no one showed.  I was hoping to see Bob.

The last time I spoke to Bob was when I called to see if he would be interested in crewing my Furnace Creek 508 solo ride.  We talked for over an hour and he said he will help me the next time.

I wish I could have ridden with Bob one more time.  To hear his exploits in Europe.  I will just have to have the pictures and memories.

Thank you.

Happy safe bicycling, David.

Michael

Just wanted to acknowledge David's wonderful tribute to Bob. A great story of how a common interest, cycling, can bring people together and create long term feelings of warmth and good will.

David, you wrote a wonderful tribute to Bob.  Like you, I too started riding with the cruisers and I even remember Bob telling me that originally they were called the SlowPokes.  Its interesting to hear stories about him when he was healthier because when I knew him he couldn't ride 20 miles, and then to hear that he used to ride half centuries is great.  I thought Diane wrote a very nice tribute to him and you certainly added to it.  Thanks!