News:

This Forum is for the purpose of communication of cycling related issues. It is open to all with very few restrictions on content, but is moderated to some extent. Forum participants are expected to treat each other with dignity and respect.

Main Menu

Perks of being over 50

Started by Jeff Gross, April 16, 2013, 05:36:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Gross

Perks of being over 50:  In a hostage situation, you are likely to be released first.

Waiting for Green.

If you arrive at a red light first (or at a construction worker with a “STOP” sign), the cars pile up behind you. You don’t much enjoy that. I don’t much enjoy that. So, pull over and wait for them to go ahead, and have the road to yourself again. We think as a motorist out of habit, and we think only of getting there ASAP. When we think as a cyclist, we should think of getting there pleasantly. What’s a few seconds when you can have the road to yourself?

Many times at red lights and construction stops, cyclists cut around the blind side of cars to get to the front of the line, only to have all the cars that passed them a minute ago bearing down upon them and passing them again. Then they squeeze themselves to the side to make up for the intrusion and they get buzzed. This is self-induced stress, and is actually pretty timid, thinking: “I hope I can get around these cars and up to the front before the light changes, or I will get trapped”.

Instead, as you approach the light, get in line. Take your place out in the lane, behind the last car, as if you were a car going straight ahead yourself. Notice that the bike lane becomes dashed near each intersection, to indicate that the bike lane is suspended and cars can turn right and bikes can merge left.  When the light turns green, you can start nearly as fast as a car, and after you are comfortably through the intersection, you can move back to the bike lane.

Think assertively: "I am not biking in traffic. I AM traffic."

Yes, your cycling mates want to squeeze to the front, run lights and signs, and then refuse to wait for you. Ask yourself if that is the type of rider you want to become in order to keep up. Find better friends, and you become a better person.

Perks of being over 50: Kidnappers are not very interested in you.

OOOPS - Pardon my door.

If you’re doored, get pictures with your phone - of the scene, the bike, the car, the door, the road. Get the driver on record if they admit opening the door or pulling out.  This helps your insurance claim. If, by opening the door, the driver creates a situation in which it is impossible for you to do anything other than slam into the door or put yourself in certain danger, the insurance company can’t argue that you don’t have a claim. 

Perks of being over 50:  Things you buy now won't wear out.

International Space Station

As a bike nerd, I relate to techno-geeks everywhere. Boot up your computer and skip your favorite TV show to watch a fascinating tour of the international space station by Commander Suni Williams. The station is an outer space treasure that goes unrecognized as mundane news, and it is totally awesome! Not to mention that Suni is a captivating tour guide. Kimberly looked at her out-of-control hair, and said, "Put your hair in a pony tail!" but I think her hair underscores the weirdness of zero gravity, and I got a "big bang" out of her charming nerdiness. Video at: http://www.youtube.com/embed/doN4t5NKW-k

Perks of being over 50: Your secrets are safe with your friends because they can't remember them either.

Brain Buckets

What do you get by buying a more expensive helmet? Style is the big difference: the paint will be more detailed, sophisticated, or carbon-fiber decorative; the shape will be more aggressively defined and less rounded, and plastic will cover the rear rather than bare black styrofoam. (I feel so naked when my styrofoam is showing). I have a hard time justifying spending an extra $200 for style. Other rationalizations for an expensive helmet that might sell it to your sense of frugality (or your partner's) are light weight, more ventilation and easier adjustments, but NOT a safer helmet. Even the cheap helmets meet the safety standards.

Perks of being over 50:  Your supply of brain cells is finally down to manageable size

Bike lots,
Jeff Gross

jeff@fullcommitment.com

Great space station video, Jeff! Thanks, also, for reinforcing good cycling position at signaled intersections. I also might add that the perfect ride has no such intersections. Example, Pine Valley / Sunrise Hwy / Pine Creek this Sunday - you won't see a single traffic light (just 4 stop signs) over 67 mi, 7000+ ft of climbing.
~Karl