News:

This Forum is for the purpose of communication of cycling related issues. It is open to all with very few restrictions on content, but is moderated to some extent. Forum participants are expected to treat each other with dignity and respect.

Main Menu

Request for Input - Special Ride of the Month

Started by Jeff Gross, August 14, 2010, 04:55:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Gross

I would like to have a Special Ride of the Month, and I need your ideas to make up 12 or more!
Rules are that the ride should start & finish at OCRR, and be 35-45 miles.
Here is my brain dump so far:

1 Hill is not a 4-letter Word
2 Cyclocross pavement & dirt roads
3 Follow the Leader, no route slip
4 Rally - odd directions like "turn R 0.6 mi after Albertson's"
5 July Century Ride
6 Costume ride (costume, or jersey with an interesting story) - probably near Halloween
7 Test ride, score points variously ("What is the house number on the NE corner?")
8 Time Trial to Rainbow
9 Christmas gift donation ride to San Marcos Firestation
10 Water fight - bring water in your water bottle, or squirt cannons in your pump holder.
11 Photo ride - everyone bring a camera, and upload all the ride pictures to a common website.
12 (from Debbie Willett) Blindfolded terrorist attack.  We load the blindfolded riders up in the van and drop them off in a secret place...then they have to find their way back to OCRR...(they get to take the blindfolds off but no GPS)

Jeff Gross
CA broker #01494883, REALTOR, Notary, GRI, e-PRO, GREEN, BrokerPriceOpinion
NCCC Ride Leader, Bike League Certified Instructor (LCI), USCF Level 3 Cycling Coach, Level 3 Swim Coach
Full Commitment Real Estate
jeff@fullcommitment.com

raleigh

Hi Jeff...those are some great ideas.  How about a ride where we ALL stay together.  No one gets dropped and no one goes off the front.  Re group if someone doesn't make a light.   It would also be a good ride for new members to get the feel of riding with a group.  Could do some nice paceline practice etc.  Maybe even set a "max" speed on the flats.  Just an idea.

I like #3 and #12. Sounds like excellent fun. How about a winter century, or a full day social ride with a mellow scenic route, slower pace, and multiple stops at local caf?s.

The suggestion by raleigh is nice too. Force everyone to keep a pace. It's actually good for you and can be nice. Maybe we do a ride where we work on technique. Paceline work is a good one. Holding an agreed upon speed and 30 second pulls, etc.

In regards to #4, make it a time/distance type rally. Start each rider a minute or two apart, and have check points along the route. Points earned for the amount of time you arrived at each check point before or after a specific time. Person with the lowest score wins. Or maybe a poker run?

Also, lets do a night ride.

raleigh

Hi Jeff,

Another idea....sort of a casual ride...maybe a ride where we stop and have coffee and pastries....get to know the other riders a little bit...instead of hammering for 45 miles and going home.