News:

This Forum is for the purpose of communication of cycling related issues. It is open to all with very few restrictions on content, but is moderated to some extent. Forum participants are expected to treat each other with dignity and respect.

Main Menu

It is better to travel well than to arrive. – Buddha

Started by Jeff Gross, March 20, 2013, 09:44:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Gross

There was the person who sent ten puns to friends, with the hope that at least one of the puns would make them laugh. No pun in ten did.

Two hydrogen atoms meet. One says, 'I've lost my electron.' The other says, 'Are you sure?' The first replies, 'Yes, I'm positive.'
Fartlek: You want me to do WHAT when I workout?

Do you get bored and burned out going for endless bike rides, runs, or lap swims? Fartleks will have you re-energized, and even happy to be biking those irritating people who are faster or slower than you.
Fartlek means speed play in Swedish, and it is a speed burst while running, but you can do it in any aerobic exercise. What is best is that there are no no rules -whatsoever! Squash your monotony with a random and imaginative burst of "What the heck, I want to see if I can catch Jeff?" Take lessons from your dog. When you see a dog out in a field, it will take off at a dead sprint, then stop and smell something on the ground, then take off again as if to run the devil down. My dog, Button, does what are known as "Bichon figure-8s."

Button doesn't worry about checking her heart rate or speedometer. Plus, she is having more fun than when I tell her to "Heel, Heel, Heel" on a run around the neighborhood.

Do your fartlek burst in the middle of a middle-distance workout, so that you are warmed up. Pick something out and sprint to it. It could be a sign, or another rider, but it is a goal that will be over in less than a half minute of spirited effort. When you catch that rascal, ease off, don't show off! Slow down just as you catch their wheel, or you will be asking for a race just when you have blown your engine.

By having fun with speed play, you will be better able to recognize the differences between an easy, medium, and hard pace. Cycling is actually full of heightened efforts, as the road climbs or the wind picks up. I am a distance swimmer, and even there I need bursts of speed to catch back up to an opponent or to recover my pace after a botched flip turn. One of my favorite swim coaches said, "If all you ever do is swim slow and steady, then all you will ever be able to do is swim slow and steady." Jo Anne made me realize that I needed both long steady aerobic conditioning, and the increased strength that anaerobic bursts will develop.

Ready? Attack!

A vulture carrying two dead raccoons boards an airplane. The stewardess looks at him and says, 'I'm sorry, sir, only one carrion allowed per passenger.'

I fought the Sheriff…
Judy Frankel

If you know anyone in San Diego County that gets a ticket for not being far to the right or riding 2 abreast, the SDCBC legal committee would like to offer help to fight the ticket through the whole court process from the beginning and would help pay for the tickets if necessary. If you have a ticket, or get a ticket or know someone that did, please let me know. I think Orange County may have the same interest. The first thing to do is to not sign off your right to a Judge by agreeing to be seen by a Traffic Commissioner. Call us first.

Two fish swim into a concrete wall. One turns to the other and says, 'Dam!'

I wish I had invested in real estate back in 2013...

Buy low sell high is easy advice to give, but hard to swallow when the economy wallows. Like now. Interest rates are being kept low by government policy, and prices are on a gradual climb back up. Not the bottom, but we are just past it. Right now, investment homes in the under $300,000 range (ideal for rentals) are selling very competitively. Like this one in Oceanside, that came back on the market last week, and was snapped up in 3 days. I was going to use it as an example of a great opportunity, but now I can only use it as an example of how bullish the market has become. If you are looking for detailed convincing, read the analysis that I have attached - so insightful, I pay to subscribe to it.

If you jumped off the bridge in Paris , you'd be in Seine.

Bike like Buddah,
Jeff Gross

jeff@fullcommitment.com