News:

This Forum is for the purpose of communication of cycling related issues. It is open to all with very few restrictions on content, but is moderated to some extent. Forum participants are expected to treat each other with dignity and respect.

Main Menu

A time to race and a time for tea

Started by Jeff Gross, June 17, 2013, 10:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Gross

Let me tell you about my doctor. He's very good! If you tell him you want a second opinion, He'll go out and come in again. 

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven. A time to race and a time for tea.

One of my training philosophies is to have one maximum, all out, Full Commitment effort every training session. On the bike, it may be a 20 minute time trial, or just a single sprint for max speed. In the pool, it may be a 1500m timed swim, or only 5 breakout strokes at the end of a workout. My swim coach told me, "If all you do is long steady swimming, then all you can swim is long and steady." I try to work my anaerobic system a little every practice, even when I am exhausted and looking for a recovery workout.

One of the principles of heart monitor training is to stay out of the Dead Zone, which is around 80% of max. It is an easy zone to get caught in, being comfortably hard, but not intensly painful. Below 70% you work your aerobic system and recover from intense efforts. Above 90% you go anaerobic and push your limits to new levels. 80% deprives you of both recovery and improvement.

Another time, he gave a patient six months to live.
At the end of the six months, the patient hadn't paid his bill,
So, the doctor gave him another six months.

Full and Complete â€" The Spokey Doke.

The Pete Penseyers approach to stop signs is "count your spokes." You should slow down enough to be able to see individual spokes rather than a blur. Of course, you want to practice this speed in a parking lot, not at a stop sign where you actually have to look for cross traffic! If you make this spokey doke speed a habit at stops, you will not even have to look over your shoulder to avoid a $170 stop sign ticket.

Let me tell you about my doctor. He's very good! If you tell him you want a second opinion, he'll go out and come in again.

Cardiologist and the Honda Mechanic

A Honda mechanic was removing a cylinder head from the motor of a Honda when he spotted a well-known cardiologist in his shop. The cardiologist was there waiting for the service manager to come and take a look at his car when the mechanic shouted across the garage, "Hey Doc, want to take a look at this?" The cardiologist, a bit surprised walked over to where the mechanic was working on the Honda. The mechanic straightened up, wiped his hands on a rag and asked, "So Doc, look at this engine. I opened its heart, took the valves out, repaired or replaced anything damaged, and then put everything back in, and when I finished, it worked just like new. So how is it that I make $24,000 a year and you make $1.7M when you and I are doing basically the same work? The cardiologist paused, leaned over, and then whispered to the mechanic.... "Try doing it with the engine running."                                             

Another time, a man came running in the office and yelled,
" Doctor, doctor! - my son just swallowed a roll of film!"
The doctor calmly replied, "Let's just wait and see what develops."

Bike Friendly States.

The League of American Cyclists ranks California 19th in bike friendliness. Top 5 are Washington, Oregon, Colorado, Minnesota, and Delaware. The worst states are in the inland West and deep South. http://www.bikeleague.org/programs/bicyclefriendlyamerica/bicyclefriendlystate/index.php

I remember one time I told my doctor I had a ringing in my ears.
His advice: "Don't answer it."

I Bought a Home, But the Sellers Won't Move Out!.

In El Cajhon, a firefighter bought a short sale, and now a month after the transaction closed, the seller still is living in the main house. The firefighter's family moved into a granny flat on the property.

What can the buyer do? What this buyer did was everything quick and easy and misdirected, since they did not want to mess with the legal system. What they did before closing was to ask the seller to sign a leaseback (illegal in a short sale), which the seller refused to sign. What they did next was complaine to the media (http://realtormag.realtor.org/daily-news/2013/06/14/after-closing-sellers-refuse-go?om_rid=AACUTn&om_mid=_BRuzlTB8zVApZx&om_ntype=RMODaily). Then they filed a complaint with the California Dept of Real Estate saying that their real estate agent did not deliver the house to them, a waste of time because that is not the agent's authority.

The sale is a contract between buyer and seller, not between agents and buyers or agents and sellers. When something goes wrong, the recourse is to take legal action against a breach of contract (sue or arbitrate or mitigate). What they should do is start an eviction process. This is complicated (Kimberly & I have done it), but less so because the sellers are not tenants and did not sign a lease - tenants have many rights. The sellers are basically trespassing or squatting.

Bike lots,
Jeff Gross

jeff@fullcommitment.com