News:

This Forum is for the purpose of communication of cycling related issues. It is open to all with very few restrictions on content, but is moderated to some extent. Forum participants are expected to treat each other with dignity and respect.

Main Menu

Roadie Hand Signals

Started by Jeff Gross, August 29, 2013, 08:10:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Gross

Law of Close Encounters - The probability of meeting someone you know increases dramatically when you are with someone you don't want to be seen with.

Hand Signals Should Communicate.

Weekly safety talk â€" Use hand signals to communicate. Avoid confusing communication.

• Stopping â€" “Stop” signal should be distinct from “debris on right”, as the above image might be interpreted. It is an awkward contortion on a road bike, but there needs to be a right angle at the elbow. Personally, I find it confusing when someone uses a fist behind their back for “Stop,” it is so easily confused with “Watch out - I am going to fart,”  It is also confusing to motorists, and cannot be seen back in the draft line.
  • Right turn. Right arm perpendicular to body is more quickly understood and easier to execute than using the motorist version with the left arm raised.
  • Debris â€" Pointing out debris is good. Pointing and calling out the nature of the debris is better. Rotate your arm for emphasis.
  • Hazard/Move left - parked car, pedestrian, stray dog, other cyclists - point to side, then move hand to back with palm wide open. I prefer using the left turn signal and moving left. It lets drivers and fellow cyclists know I am merging left, and is less ambiguous - two birds/one stone.
  • Yugo â€" As in “I am tired, You Go first.” The unambiguous way to communicate the next rider to take the lead is by sticking your right arm out and waving your arm from back to front as if to say “go ahead.” More subtle and often missed is with hands on handlebar, bump your elbow out.
  • Straight â€" No kidding, sometimes even I get confused on my routes - so many choices, so many hills. When I suspect riders are thinking, “We always turn here,” then I will point my right hand straight up to signal straight ahead, no turn.

Law of Mechanical Repair - After your hands become coated with grease, your nose will itch and you'll have to pee.

Law of Biomechanics - The severity of the itch is inversely proportional to the reach.

Airbag for cyclists and pedestrians.

In the Netherlands, safety experts are working on a new airbag to protect non-occupants (what, huh?). It is an airbag that deploys on the outside of the windshield during light impact, such as a bicyclist or pedestrian. Developers claim these are the most common and the most serious type of collision between cars and vulnerable road users.

The biggest hurdle to this concept's implementation would seem to be the objections from car-makers and car-buyers, who would say, "Why should I spend my money to protect anyone other than myself and my car occupants?"

More info: www.savecap.org

Variation Law -   If you change lanes, the one you were in will always move faster than the one you are in now.

Law of Gravity - Any tool, nut, bolt, screw, when dropped, will roll to the least accessible corner.

Kid Safety..

When entering an event, park, mall, take a photo of your child in what they are wearing today, in case you later need to contact security.

Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Dangers of Using a Listing Agent to Show You a Home.

If you go to an open house, the agent will ask you "Are you working with an agent?"  Your answer should be "Yes, Jeff and Kimberly Gross of Full Commitment Real Estate are my agents." Otherwise, you are bound to use the listing agent regardless of the fact that they represent the buyer, and that the seller will then be bound to pay them double commission for representing both sides. Called "dual agency" it is legal in California Real Estate, but banned in some other states. It is like asking the attorney of the person you are suing to represent you, too. Be upfront with the agent or it will likely come back to bite you.

Law of Biomechanics - The severity of the itch is inversely proportional to the reach.

Law of the Result - When you try to prove to someone that a machine won't work, it will.

Bike lots,
Jeff Gross

jeff@fullcommitment.com

Jeff Gross
CA broker #01494883, REALTOR, Notary, GRI, e-PRO, GREEN, BrokerPriceOpinion
NCCC Ride Leader, Bike League Certified Instructor (LCI), USCF Level 3 Cycling Coach, Level 3 Swim Coach
Full Commitment Real Estate
jeff@fullcommitment.com