News:

This Forum is for the purpose of communication of cycling related issues. It is open to all with very few restrictions on content, but is moderated to some extent. Forum participants are expected to treat each other with dignity and respect.

Main Menu

Roadies regular ride November 2

Started by Robert Abraham, November 01, 2013, 06:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Comrades,

In keeping with tradition, tomorrow we will go out to Bonsall. The route should be familiar to most of us. Plenty of charming, rolling back roads, plus everyone's favorite character building drag, Champagne. We will head out Mission out to Buena Creek on Woodward. Foothills and Warmlands will take us to East Vista, and then into Bonsall on Old River. The usual break in Bonsall at the AMPM. When we leave Bonsall, the regular route will do the usual thing and head out Camino Del Rey to Hwy 395. However. The bonus route will split off onto to go up West Lilac and come down Circle R to rejoin the route. So if you don't feel like hammering the hills for a few extra miles, don't follow me when we leave Bonsall.  ;D  We'll return on Jesmond Dene, Country Club, etc. Anyone that wants to cut it short can always drop off down Deer Springs/Twin Oaks. The route is pretty straight forward, but please, PLEASE, have a route slip. There are a couple turns out on Foothill and Warmlands that are easy to get wrong.

Some things I want to note as your current ride leader: It's status quo. Let's try to be ready to go 5 minutes before the start time, which is 0830 right now. Pump up your tires before you leave home, check your bike over the night before to resolve mechanical issues. Most mornings you won't get much of a speech, some mornings you might get a dissertation. Please feel free to form a break if you want a faster pace. DO NOT expect me to sit on the front all the time, or feel like you can't take off on your own. I'm not a domestique (super domestique maybe), I don't get paid to do this. Besides, we all need a bit of fun and light competition now and then, so mix it up, make a break, chase it down. I expect everyone to either have a route slip or GPS track, know the route well enough to be ok, or both, and generally (ok loosely pretend to) stick to the NCCC riding etiquette rules. As Jeff used to do, I'll call out turns and help the group navigate, but mostly my job will be to plan the routes, show up with cue slips, and get everyone started. This Saturday, I'll stick in the group and lead us out to Bonsall, but you might be on your own coming back.

Basically, let's be safe and have fun. It's just a bike ride.