News:

This Forum is for the purpose of communication of cycling related issues. It is open to all with very few restrictions on content, but is moderated to some extent. Forum participants are expected to treat each other with dignity and respect.

Main Menu

"Bike for a Healthy California" license plate

Started by karlos, October 17, 2019, 10:01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlos

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT FOR CYCLING AND CYCLIST EDUCATION
The CA Dept of Health is launching a special interest license plate for motor vehicles registered with the DMV, including your car, motor bike, trailer, similar to Veterans, Protect our Coasts and other plates.

The state needs to register 7500 deposits to get the plate approved. Pre-order your plate for $50 (or $103 for personalized) at https://calbikeplate.com to join this effort and promote cycling. Your specialty plate will also cost $40/yr ($83/yr for personalized).

Funds from the sales of the license plates will go towards grants to be made available to County Health Offices, schools, nonprofits and community based organizations. Grants will focus on physical activity featuring the use of bicycles and cover the following areas:

• Safe places to ride bikes: encourage bike lanes, paths, trails and mountain trails.
  • Earn-A-Bike programs: for youth (at-risk and disadvantaged).
  • School programs: Safe Routes to School and bike training, skill development and nutrition education at 4th and 5th grade, clubs and teams at Middle school and high schools.
  • Promote bicycle use as a regular mode of transportation: providing greater access for bikes in urban and suburban areas.
  • Safety education for cyclists and drivers of motor vehicles. Also, working with local law enforcement to create a cycling ambassador program.

karlos

If you've been thinking about this, go for it now. So far, they are quite a bit short and need more responses before they will stamp them out. They need to make make the 7500 quota by November and have ~6000 to go to get there.

The 7500 minimum required has not yet been reached but pre-orders are still open.
You can sign up here: https://calbikeplate.com/
SUPPORT

karlos

All - I am sad to announce that there just wasn't enough interest, despite a very good effort across San Diego County to promote these license plates. Although COVID was given as the reason, I think it was simply the fact that convincing 7500 folks out of ~40 million people in CA was just too difficult. I personally find that disappointing. Thanks to the NCCC members as well as many of my other cycling mates around SD County who I know sent in their pre-order in hopes of a cool license plate. Here is the letter I received this morning.

QuoteYou are receiving this email as you are on record for purchasing a "Bike For A Healthy California" (BFAHC) specialty license plate. The decision was made to stop selling the BFAHC license plate due to the impact of COVID-19 on sales. Individuals who pre-ordered the plate will receive a full refund, less a three percent service fee. Personalized license plate holders will receive $103.00 and regular sequential plate holders will receive $50.00. We ask that you please be patient, as the process will take up to 30-business days.

The California Department of Public Health (CDPH), along with the Friends of the Bike Plate, would like to thank everyone who purchased the BFAHC license plate. We know that your decision to purchase a license plate was made in part to help us support cycling programs throughout California.

blah blah blah ..