News:

This Forum is for the purpose of communication of cycling related issues. It is open to all with very few restrictions on content, but is moderated to some extent. Forum participants are expected to treat each other with dignity and respect.

Main Menu

What's your name?

Started by Cody Barnes, November 14, 2022, 05:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I love riding with the members of this club. There are quite a few excellent riders and some genuinely friendly people here. Sadly, however, I have a horrible memory for names! I feel awful about this. Even to those whose name I do remember, once you change your kit, helmet or the side of me you ride on, I completely fail on that name-to-face thing (sorry Tony!!). I blame the fact that during a ride, most of my blood is in my legs trying to keep me going, and there is little left in my brain trying to feed my neurons. Though I don't think that I am alone in this memory deficiency. It seems that most rides start with a number of us asking each other to remind us of their names. If only there was something we could do to help each other!

I noticed some time ago that several riders had custom vinyl stickers made with their names and attached them to easily visible places on their bikes. I love this as it helps me feel stupid about one less thing in my life. Unfortunately, in my case, Specialized has taken that place of honor on my bike with their own name in huge lettering, leaving me little room to do the same. However, I recently used a site online to create a small graphic of my name and affixed it to the sides of my helmet. Now, for those that I am riding with who have forgotten my name, they can look at the side of my head and get a nice reminder. I'm trying to start a trend... 

Anyone interested in doing the same thing, there are several online sites that can cheaply create a graphic of your own design with your name (or any other text or shape). I used lettering.com, which has an excellent and simple to use online editor.

Thank you to all of the riders that I've asked for your name almost as many times as miles we've done together. I appreciate your patience.

-Cody Barnes