News:

This Forum is for the purpose of communication of cycling related issues. It is open to all with very few restrictions on content, but is moderated to some extent. Forum participants are expected to treat each other with dignity and respect.

Main Menu

Support for roundabout at Tamarack and 101 in Carlsbad

Started by karlos, January 31, 2023, 10:27:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlos

All - Since many of us ride the coast through Carlsbad, Carlsbad is considering options to improve the intersection at Tamarack and Carlsbad Blvd (101). See details at https://www.carlsbadca.gov/home/showpublisheddocument/12148. Comments on which option you prefer should be sent in by this Friday, Feb 3, to traffic@carlsbadca.gov. Agencies count support letters for each option to help direct their final decision, so send something in if you have a preference. Below is the letter I sent into support the roundabout Option 2.

Dear Carlsbad Traffic Commission

I strongly support your roundabout option for improving the intersection of Tamarack and Carlsbad Blvd.

As a Solana Beach resident who regularly drives and bicycles our North County coast through this intersection, the primary benefit is improved safety for everyone who uses the road: motorists, bicyclists, pedestrians, and others. The safety improvements are well known by reducing the number of conflict points at a roundabout intersection, making the most injurious head-on and T-bone collisions between a motor vehicle and others virtually impossible. The accommodation for pedestrians in a modern roundabout ensures pedestrians only need to look for conflicts in one direction as they proceed to/from the pedestrian refuge in the splitter vane halfway. These safety improvements are important for your Vision Zero aspirations.

Speeds will be reduced to a moderate 15-20 mph: slower speeds through the intersection again make it safer for all. Average travel times through a single roundabout will shorten trips and eliminate waiting at traffic signals, where idling vehicles only add to pollution and noise, not to mention the aggravation of having to sit at a light.

As a League of American Bicyclists certified cycling instructor, we teach that proceeding through a traffic calmed roundabout intersection is safest when fully integrating with vehicle traffic through the roundabout. I especially like that you've included sharrows in both the throat and the inner circle per the CA MUTCD recommendation to make it clear how bicyclists should use the roundabout.

Finally, your artist rendition for Option 2 shows how you can create not only a functional safety and efficiency improvement but beautify an otherwise utilitarian road intersection. This will be a wonderful place to drive, bicycle and walk, a model for other intersections along our North County Coast.
tamarack_roundabout.png
I urge you to go forward with this beautiful improvement. Well done 👍!

Karl Rudnick
1019 San Patricio Dr, Solana Beach
BikeWalkSolana member. advising the CIty of Solana Beach for bicyclists & pedestrians
League of American Bicyclists Cycling Instructor #3481
North County Cycle Club Ride Leader