News:

This Forum is for the purpose of communication of cycling related issues. It is open to all with very few restrictions on content, but is moderated to some extent. Forum participants are expected to treat each other with dignity and respect.

Main Menu

Ragbrai?

Started by jonpenner, January 17, 2023, 06:47:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonpenner

Hi,

For those of you who have done Ragbrai before, did you use a charter? If so, would you recommend them?

Looking for advice for a first time Ragbrai.

Thanks!

- Jon Penner

Steve Fox

Hi Jon,

i've ridden ragbrai about half a dozen times. i went on the ragbrai forum and found a local des moines
group that was looking for riders.  it worked well for me. however, i don't know what you mean by a
"charter." i'll be on the ride tomorrow, if you want to talk more.

steve fox

jonpenner

Thanks, Steve.

Sorry I missed you yesterday.  Charter is the term that is on the Ragbrai website for organizations that provide various levels of service that is beyond the luggage carting that the Ragbrai staff do already.  Things like dedicated campsites, tent rental, parking at the end location and bus service back to the start, etc.  Some of them include extras like food, laundry service, and showers and towels. 

When you joined the Des Moines group, did you bring your own tent?  Or did they provide that kind of stuff for you?

I'm signed up for the ride, and I'm excited about the experience.  Just trying to figure out what logistics options are best for me.  Last year, I had planned to do the trip with my dad and he was going to drive his RV, but I broke my shoulder in May, so that was out for 2022.  This year he will be out of the country for most of July, so I'm researching options.

Thanks!

Steve Fox

Hi Jon,

The DM group I joined typically stayed indoors, but encouraged tent bringing, in case indoors turned into outdoor camping.  If you like the "charter" method of travel, then you should do it. I never did it because a core group of us turned up every year or so to do the ride. More personal and fun, imo. There are two Colorado rides this year that are, as you put it, "charter" groups. Thinking about joining them. They certainly take the edge off the duller aspects of cycling camping, like putting up/taking down tents, providing hospitality tents after the day's ride, and other niceties. It's all in what kind of experience you want.  Most people love the ride; I look at it as a 7-day party, but us older peeps don't party that much. Have fun!