News:

This Forum is for the purpose of communication of cycling related issues. It is open to all with very few restrictions on content, but is moderated to some extent. Forum participants are expected to treat each other with dignity and respect.

Main Menu

Sunset Park Vs Civic Center Plaza

Started by Jeff Gross, March 12, 2024, 09:38:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Gross

If you have ridden a Saturday ride from Sunet Park or Civic Center Plaza, please share your evaluation of the site as a prospect for our future ride starts.

Last week, I led the Regular group from Civic Center Plaza. My take:

Pros: A neat, clean, busy parking lot feels safe. We parked in what I  assume is primarily parking for Old Spagetti Factory, which does not open until 11:30 on Saturday, so it is a lightly used area in the morning. Half a dozen food sites for post-ride options. A manager at Ryan Bros Coffee agreed to let us use their bathroom. It gets a 3.5 mile head start on inland rides, compared to Sunet Park (7 miles round trip). This gives more options for inland routes.

Cons: The same 7-mile difference gives fewer coastal route options. We are imposing on business parking and restrooms, and could become unwelcome as non-customers. A sign on the Ryan Bros bathroom says in bold, "RESTROOMS FOR CUSTOMERS ONLY".

I have not yet been to Sunet Park.

Smstewart

Clippers have had multiple rides from 'Civic Center Plaza' which I've listed as "Ryan Bros. Coffee" for starting point.  Parking should be in far lot opposite the coffee shop to minimize customer disruption (nearer Twin Oaks Valley, TOV).  Parking s/b fine and Ryan Bros. has welcomed the Clippers.  I've rerouted several Clipper routes from that lot; a note must avoid left turn on Mission from TOV given the railroad tracks.  I think it is a good site for Wed. Clipper rides.

Steve Fox

I attended the Sat. reg. ride with Jeff.  I agree with the "pros" comments. I'll add
that it was nice to walk across the parking lot to eat lunch, instead of having to
drive somewhere else. I disagree with the "cons." SDBC has been using the UTC parking
lot and facilities for 25+ years. This club is twice the size of NCCC and there have
been no issues. The coffee shop has no issue with our restroom use--'nuff said.

After Sat.'s lunch, I drove over to Sunset Park.  It appeared to me to be a pretty location
with lots of parking and restrooms. But, there's nothing else there that begs me to ride from
this location.  There's no food.  It's not as freeway close as the coffee shop location.

Helen

The Civic center plaza is a clean and nice Location to meet up, easy access to lots of eateries and the freeway. Lots of parking by the LA Fitness area as well. The San Marcos Civic Center building where the IRS office is, it seems to be closed on the weekend so more parking are available as well. Whoever wants to park there can just ride over to Ryan Bro coffee shop by crossing Rancheros Dr not far at all. Kudos to whoever suggested this location.

As for Sunset Park there might be limited parking at times if there are park events such as families party gatherings and ball games. 

For those who haven't been to Sunset Park, be aware that the only way into the lower parking lot is going westbound on La Mirada Drive.   There's a gate that's always closed and locked on La Mirada at the west end of the park, so if you're coming from the coast, you have to wrap all the way around the park, via Linda Vista, then Las Flores, to La Mirada to get to the lower parking lot.  There is a small number of parking spots on La Mirada, outside the gate, in the event you don't want to do the full circuit around the edges of the park.  The other option is to use the upper parking lot, off Puesta Del Sol, then ride the park sidewalks down to the lower parking lot.  Consider yourselves informed...   ;)

What about Poinsettia Park?  ...it's right by my house!

Jeff Gross

Used Sunset Park's upper lot as a ride start. It is a well maintained, upscale park, with clean bathrooms. Parking seemed ample, with about 100 spaces. The road up to the park is a steep block from Poinsettia Ave to the west, a challenging finish to a hard ride.
I like it because coming from Carlsbad, it is 3.6 miles closer to home, and because I don't like to impose on a private business' "customers only" bathroom.